The ad is terrible. The commentary is fantastic.
Let me explain a few things about special K:
1. The objectification of women is so evident in this specific ad, I hope I don’t have to go into it. Her ass is the subject of the picture. She doesn’t have a face, or really a full body for that matter.
2. All of the advertisements for special K is directed towards women. There are NO ads that I can find with men taking the challenge. Why? Because dieting is so feminized in our society, that for men to diet it is seen as “girly”.
3. As I look more into the actual challenge it is really only granola bars, cereal, protein shakes. You really aren’t getting ALL the nutrients you need. The challenge itself is based on a low calorie diet, which isn’t promoting a full, healthy lifestyle or eating habits. It is promoting eating less and while limiting portion sizes is a good idea for those looking to live healthier lifestyles, it isn’t ideal when you are eating kelloggs products which are high in sugar corn fructose syrup.
Yeah, that’s why I wrote the letter and that’s why I’m pissed off. Sorry if it doesn’t appease you or you don’t agree with it but I suggest complaining to someone who body polices rather than someone who is trying to promote healthy, body positive images.
Then don’t eat special K if you get so butt hurt over their ad campaign.
It’s not that I’m butt hurt, it’s that women are suffering because of shitty fucking ads like this. Making women feel like they have absolutely no power over how they feel about their body.
people are clearly unaware of the effects that these advertisements have on people.
fuck anyone that thinks this ad is irrelevant and ineffective.
because you know what this, and so many other ads, try to do?
they feed on our goddamn insecurities. they know people are unhappy with themselves and ads like this perpetuate self hate, low self esteem, and lead to disordered eating. you are plain fucking ignorant if you think otherwise.
i am so goddamn sick of seeing ads that have women dancing around the one yogurt they allow themselves to eat a day. it’s fucking ridiculous and an easy way to end up in the hospital.
but hey, if you want your daughters to grow up in a world where they hate themselves, fucking great for you.
but i don’t. and that is why these ads are disgusting.
Yeah, no, these ads are terrible and are only directed at women. The “Special K Diet” is basically “eat a tiny bowl of cereal twice a day instead of a normal meal.” That’s not a healthy or sustainable dietary choice. If you ate a small bowl of ANY cereal twice a day instead of a full meal, you’d probably lose weight.
Special K tastes like tree bark. Fuck ‘em and fuck their body-shaming and their stupid ‘diet’.
alright, so special k is in fact delicious, but i stopped buying it a long time ago because i am not happy about the way that their ads tell me i need to eat cereal for 2 meals a day to be ‘healthy.’ i like cereals that taste like tree bark, apparently, but i have become too aware of the other aspects of their company to really want to buy their product.
it’s strange to see people who hate special k and love things like diet coke, though, since diet coke is marketed the same way, with the added evils of aspartame, high fructose corn syrup, and their assassinations of union workers in colombia. why do we only hate some diet things? why are some companies getting a pass, while others aren’t? why do we still buy schick razors even though they tell us to shave our vaginas? why do we buy dove when they own axe and objectify women in their ads? why do we buy clairol products when they’re being tested on bunnies’ eyes? not to mention all of the alcohol, perfume, clothing, and other assorted products out there that we seem to not mind but are obviously tricking people into thinking is either good for us or sexy [whichever is more convenient, i guess].
i guess my point is: if you want to be conscious, be conscious. but if you don’t, you can’t just pick a few things to be angry about while ignoring all of your other completely empty consumptions.
(Sorry I’ve failed to keep this blog updated, by the way. Let’s fix that together.)
- damandas likes this
- xx-rapunzel-xx reblogged this from sluteverxxx and added:
- ailene-randolph reblogged this from greghatesyourgod
- altogetherdi likes this
- formalnoncon likes this
- haughtystilt likes this
- whateveripostwhatiwant likes this
- i-gloriana reblogged this from sexistads
- faycinacroud reblogged this from sexistads and added:
- faycinacroud likes this
- thebrightwood reblogged this from sexistads and added:
- thebrightwood likes this
- cigarettesandpinkwine likes this
- atuin likes this
- thejessbeast reblogged this from dazebras
- dazebras reblogged this from lipstick-feminists
- hypermediocrity likes this
- nightandchocolate likes this
- queerozilla likes this
- katyissuperawesome likes this
- nohetero likes this
- berrym likes this
- melodicuspondicus likes this
- boycrazystacey likes this
- iwillnotshavemyvagina likes this
- wintermelontea likes this
- jjarichardson reblogged this from lipstick-feminists
- smdy reblogged this from stfuconservatives and added:
- barverineceaser reblogged this from disgustinghuman and added:
- theemightyquinn reblogged this from disgustinghuman
- neutral-state reblogged this from de-la-dicks
- de-la-dicks reblogged this from lavendersprigsandcoffee
- thedisneytardis likes this
- gronk-step reblogged this from lamiroirr and added: